Are You Watching a Rob Zombie Movie? (A DVD Critics Corner Quiz)
Hey everyone! It’s Tom, your DVD Critics Corner pal. You’re looking well. Is that a new shirt? Fantastic.
Well, it’s Halloween. And if you’re like me, you’re stuffed to the gills with fun size snickers and watching countless horror movies on TV, and boy there are a lot of them!
But let’s face it, you watch a marathon of gory horror movies, and after a while they all start to look the same: some idiots are attacked by a knife wielding maniac, blood spurts, body parts fly, yadda yadda yadda, killer lives for the sequel, roll closing credits.
So how would you be able to distinguish any old horror film from the work of say rocker turned horror director Rob Zombie? Rob has a distinct style he’s used to very well in such films as House of 1000 Corpses, The Devil’s Rejects, and two Halloweens.
Answer these questions and find out if you are watching a Rob Zombie movie!
1. Is the movie full of sadistic, repulsive, white trash male characters played by scary looking actors who look like they might have killed someone in real life?
2. Are the young female characters:
C) Having sex or preoccupied with having sex?
D) All of the above?
3. Is everyone dressed like its 1977 even though the movie is set in the present?
4. Does Sherry Moon Zombie (AKA Mrs. Rob Zombie) have a starring role in the film, even though her character died in the previous movie?
5. Does at least one character drive a van, complete with shag carpet and a bitchin mural painted on the side?
6. Are the young characters listening to Lynard Skynard, Blue Oyster Cult or some other band no teenager has listened to in over 30 years?
7. Is Michael Myers as big as Optimus Prime?
8. Is the film’s style a homage to the gritty low budget “grindhouse” movies that only Rob Zombie, Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarrantino know about and have watched?
If you answered “yes” to one or more of the above questions, you are watching a Rob Zombie horror movie.
Happy Halloween from DVD Critics Corner!